Saturday, November 6, 2010

Right From My Heart

This is a micro-macrocosmic introduction of me:

I went through a phase where I tried to eat nothing but yellow foods for breakfast. I was limited to bananas, pineapple, and scrambled eggs with the occasional garnish of cheddar cheese—occasional because it was a bit too orange for my liking. It was served on yellow plates.

Then I went through a phase where I tried to eat nothing but peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for breakfast. It was delicious and so, so nostalgic.

Then I went through a phase where I tried to be like my grandpa and eat nothing but cream of wheat or oatmeal for breakfast. Did my grandpa only eat these things? I don't know, but eating breakfast like him meant eating only these things.

Then, in the comfort of myself, I ate whatever I wanted and didn't worry about broadcasting my breakfast food choices to the world. I still do this (or I did until I wrote this).

Once Henri Nouwen asked Mother Teresa how to live out his vocation as a priest, and she responded, "Spend one hour a day in adoration of your Lord and never do anything you know is wrong, and you will be fine." [adapted from The Way of the Heart by Henri Nouwen]

To live a life honest with myself meant living what was right from my heart. And what is right from my heart is only determinable after blurring the lines between my heart and God's.

No comments:

Post a Comment