Monday, December 27, 2010

Learning from Wishing

When I was 8 my Christmas wish-list was littered with Lego’s, Nerf Guns and a Nintendo, though I knew my mom would never get me one. This year, my wish list consisted mostly of books, CD’s and a movie I really wanted. Clearly things have changed. It’s been interesting to reflect on the different types of things I’ve asked for over the years, and so, for your convenience, I’ve broken down the different wish-list era’s many of us went through over the past 20 years:

The Oblivious Era (0-2 Yrs) – You were a baby, and thus, you didn’t know anything. You just took whatever you were given, probably tried to eat it and certainly slobbered all over it.

The Golden Era (3-11 Yrs) – These were the golden years of wish-listing. You would scan the Lego magazine and Toys’R’Us catalogue, marking your favorite item on every page. Your list was full of fantastic toys even if you knew there was no chance of getting them. Every so often scary things like Furbie’s would sneak onto your list, but overall, this was the highlight of your wish-listing career.

The Confused Era (12-15 Yrs) – This was an odd time in the wish list era. You were still young enough that you wanted to ask for Lego’s and Nerf Guns, but unfortunately, you also falsely believed you were too cool for these fantastic toys, and thus were ashamed to ask for them. So instead, you asked for boring thing.

The Awkward Era (Could come any time, but usually around 13) - Beginning to realize how weird and awkward you were, you did your best to hide this reality by proving you were actually very “cool”. This means you asked for “cool” clothes that were actually funny looking, and music that nobody really liked but everybody listened too.

The Practical (Lame) Era (16 -20 Yrs) – Rather than trying to prove how “cool” you were, you now began to pride yourself on being “mature”. This means your list was absent of anything fun, and filled with practical things such as a new dress shirt or a pair of running shoes. Totally necessary…but also pretty boring.

The Redeemed Era (21-? Yrs) – You’ve now realized you’re neither cool or mature. In fact, you really are pretty awkward…but that’s ok because everybody else is too. You’re growing more “ok” with who you are, and you’re figuring out what you really do like. So once again, your list is full of things you really enjoy like books or music. It’s a good list.

While this list is exaggerated and silly, I do think we can learn something from it. I am now 22 years old, fresh out of the Practical Years, and I’m proud to say my list had no clothes, toothpaste or gas cards. Sure, it still looks a lot different from those fanciful wish lists from when I was 9, but then again 22 year old Kyle looks a lot different than 9 year old Kyle. By God’s grace I’ve grown over the years, and I’m no longer so worried about trying to prove how “cool” or “mature” I am. Instead, I’m now facing the difficult task of simply learning to be Kyle, and, more importantly, learning to appreciate being Kyle. I’m trying to figure out who I am in Christ and learning to appreciate, and even love, who God has made me to be.

Constantly changing and growing, it turns out this silly list epitomizes life, as we ourselves undergo constant change and growth. As the years pass, we change, but the beauty of life is that we do not experience this growth alone. As I look back on the growth I’ve experienced, I am encouraged to see that God has actively been working in my life every step of the way. He is near, and He cares. The most profound truth in all of reality is that God loves us, yet sadly, this truth is so incomprehensible that many people struggle to truly believe it. This is where reflecting on our past becomes an incredible tool because in the clarity of hindsight God’s love becomes more recognizable as we see God graciously working in our lives.

As Christians, we must hate sin, because God hates sin. Sadly, in an attempt to hate our sin many of us begin to hate ourselves, but in this we underestimate the power of the Cross. We must remember that in Christ we are reborn, creatures of the Spirit, children of the Light.

In our sin we wadded deep into the mire, and it’s difficult to believe that God could love creatures of such filth. Yet, those in Christ are no longer drowning under the weight of sin because our lives are now hid “with Christ one high”. So as you look back on old wish lists and reflect on the growth you’ve experienced over the years, thank the Lord. Thank Him for His faithfulness in the past, His sanctification to come in the future, and His grace encompassing all. Thank Him for saving you, for cleansing you and for loving you.

Now begin enjoying Him.

1 comment:

  1. Kyle, I love your "eras." Clever, and spot-on! Also, what you said about hating ourselves instead of hating sin is true, unfortunately. It's awesome that you're reflecting on the ways God has shaped you. Every so often, I look back and begin to make sense of the previous couple weeks, months, etc. And what I see always amazes me. God is so good, to take the time to make us into more of what he created us to be. I love seeing the work He's done, in myself and in others. But he always still has lots to do!! :)

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Kyle!

    ReplyDelete